Step inside the story of our social, retail and industrial heritage and imagine what life would have been like during the Victorian era and the 1930s as you explore the life size streets, buildings, shops and vehicles. Be inspired by wonderful collections of vehicles, toys, domestic appliances and lots more. See how our homes developed through the decades from 1930 to 1970 with our authentic room-sets.
Things to Do
- There’s lots to see and do here so we advise you give yourself at least 2 to 4 hours to explore the museum.
- On arrival, purchase your old penny and ration coupon and experience choosing your 2oz of sweets in our 1940s Sweet shop.
- Pick up a free audio guide, with a special programme suitable for families.
- Free children’s activity trail sheets.
- Play Post Office for under 5s.
- Enjoy a friendly welcome in our working Edwardian pub, open 12 – 2.30pm Tues – Fri and Bank Holidays, 12 – 3.30pm on weekends.
- Climb on board some of our vehicles.
Memory Lane Cafe
Rest a while in the Memory Lane Café, open from 10am weekdays (Bank Holidays & Tues – Fri) and 11am weekends until 4.30pm. Enjoy hot and cold food and drinks, delicious cakes and ice creams. Hot food is served 12noon – 2pm.
Baverstock Arms Pub
Enjoy drinks in a working Edwardian pub. Delicious sandwiches, crisps and cake are also available to purchase if you’re feeling hungry!
Open Bank Holidays, Tues – Fri 12pm – 2.30pm and weekends 12pm – 3.30pm.
Milestones specialise in programmes for KS1 and 2. Please contact them or visit their website for more detailed information, prices, special needs school visits, hazard assessment, guidelines for groups, resources and pre-visits.
Milestones is a great all-weather venue for groups. Pre-booked groups of 15+ persons can benefit from the following:
- Discounted admission for pre-booked groups of 15+ persons.
- Free coach, mini-bus and car parking adjacent to the museum.
- Pre-bookable catering options, served in the café for up to 30 persons per sitting.
- Free pre-bookable wheelchair and mobility scooter hire.
- Coach drivers are offered free entry, meal voucher for the café and 10% off selected items in the gift shop.
Tuesday – Friday and Bank Hols, 10am–4.45pm Weekends, 11am–4.45pm. Last admission 3.45pm.
Milestones will be open Bank Holiday Mondays and the following dates in 2016: 29 Aug and 24 October. Closed Mondays, Christmas Day, Boxing Day (26 Dec), 1 Jan 2017.
How To Find Milestones
Milestones is on the Leisure Park in Basingstoke, two miles from the town centre.
From M3 junction 6 or 7, follow the brown tourist signs for the Leisure Park/ Milestones. Use entrance B to Leisure Park. FREE car parking in front of museum or on the Leisure Park. SAT NAV postcode for the Leisure Park is RG22 6PG.
By train and bus
Centre Shuttle bus runs between the Leisure Park and the town centre Railway Station. Bus stops outside the museum and runs approx every 15 mins. For shuttle bus information please visit: www.basingstoke.gov.uk